Sunday, October 7, 2012

How do I survive music from the Swag-Generation?

I know I know....you're upset. Ever since Brown Sugar was filmed you've been upset that there arn't enough yoga rappers to satisfy your pseudo black militancy. What do you do? Do you stay in your hyperbolic time-chamber full of Public Enemy vinyls? Do you sip chai tea out of your mug while wearing your limited edition Ghostface Killah robe while waiting for the next Talib Kweli album?


Im getting ahead of myself...NOONE is waiting for the next Talib Kweli album. :(

What do you do when you're stuck in the 90's/80's yet you're growing bored of listening to the same ol' music solely  so you can feel like an individual for once in your life?


You vibrate higher, you fucking fuck

Like I stated in my first post, I'm here to coach you into the Swag-Generation as easily as possible.

So where do we start? Who are some new rappers you should look out for?



Let me introduce you to Neako

From: New Jersey

Age: 26






Don't let the cliche jesus piece, bright clothes, and cocky facial expression fool you. Neako is a self-produced rapper, and he's skilled at both.

He's collab'd with some of your favorite mixtape rappers (and Wiz Khalifa, but please don't mention it to him) yet he remains low-key because of his refusal to conform.

My reference to Wiz Khalifa should warn you, Neako is def a weed-rapper. What makes him special enough for a blog post? His distinctive-voice, atmospheric (and generally sample-free) beats, and intricate storytelling lyrics will have you hooked.



As of 2006-2012 he's dropped 12 mixtapes, that's 2 mixtapes a year. This nigga is prolific. Neako exemplifies what I love about the Swag-Generation so much. You can literally witness an artist's growth as they upload mixtape after mixtape every year. Nothing is obscure on the internet. If it's good, we will hear it. Your favorite obscure hip hop album from the 90's isn't obscure anymore. Everyone's downloading it as we speak.....and we're going to delete that boring shit in 2 days to make room for more Codi Bryant. I gives no fuck.

Compare this (2006)







To this (2009)




And this (2011)





Neako can take a simple idea and stretch it for 6 bars if he wanted to

"It's god given, like god hit em
And told him, that he was comin to get him
And he brought something with him...
...
And I received that"

Neako suffers (I use the term suffer losely) from the same addiction Kanye does. And that's being a producer. Neako will rap over someone elses beat and soup it up to the point it's not even the same vibe.

He also has an affinity for throwing live instruments over trap beats, which is always welcome.


For example:


As you weave through his catalog, you'll be rewarded by Neako as you catch the constant references to older work and ideas. If you follow Neako on twitter you'll be lost by the secret code that him and his followers speak.  Neako's not the type of artist you can just jump into and claim he's your favorite. His followers will embarrass you, I've seen it.....I've seen it all.

Saying the word "embarrass" referring to fucking TWITTER is uncomfortably corny =/.

With that being said...

Follow the young black jesus so you can get your daily fix of angsty black teenage snark while I'm neglecting my blog. @TrillTabernacle

As I was saying


If you can handle some misogyny and  some drug references (which I know you can, cause you listen to fucking REASONABLE DOUBT) then you'll be able to handle Neako. Get on the bandwagon, he's making moves

Recommended listening: Rubix Cube: The Yellow Edition (His Magnum Opus in my opinion)

The Number 23 (If you want to understand the direction of his newer music, bump this)



Next up...



Ro Ransom

From: Harlem, New York

Age: 19




The youngest, and most overlooked artist in this post is probably the most lyrically talented. Ro (originally named Nero, I don't know what the fuck happened) gained my attention from his show-stealing verse on Casey Veggies "30,000"



I mean....it can't be that hard to steal a song from Casey Veggies (sorry Casey, Sleeping In Class is my shit but.......) but his verse was def one of the most interesting pieces of young nigga shit talking I've heard in a minute.

"She asked me why I sound so passionate rapping.....I told her if I say it, it actually happened"

Ro is my favorite shit-talker when it comes to rapping. I have reason to believe Harlem niggas are the most disrespectful niggas out there. Shout out to A$ap Rocky for throwing a bottle full of piss at a club-bouncer. Shout out to the Cam'Ron for the intro to Public Enemy #1 and the song "You Gotta Hate It".  Free Max B.

Check out this shit



Ro is by far one of the most honest rappers out here (Homie brags about drinking iced tea and streaming anime for free. I can't make this up) he gets into his feelings every now-and-then, but it's never overwhelming. He's a no-filter rapper that'll talk his shit and cry afterwards. ....but not in a bitch way. More like a Cuba-Gooding-Swinging-At-The-Air-In-Boyz-In-The-Hood way. One thing you'll notice about most of these rappers I show respect to is, you can tell they know their history. Neako goes from rapping over Lex-Luger beats to rapping over J-Dilla on the same mixtape.

Ro is no different. He goes from paying homage to DJ Screw, rapping over M.I.A., singing over a underratted Missy Eliott and Timbo classic (Take Away) in the same mixtape. You can tell Ransom started off as a spitter but slowed it down to fit the mold of the Swag-Generation, and I respect that. We don't need another Busta Rhymes* (speaking of Busta Rhymes....). If you want less misogyny and drugs and more honesty and clever lyrics. Check this nigga out.


Recommended listening: Ransomnia 




Next up, Danny Swain

From: South Carolina
Age: 29 (DAMN THIS NIGGA OLD, WHUT IT DO)






Is it......too late for me to write about Danny! ? As a nigga who's been bumping his shit for years I'm weirded out about how fast he blew up. I havn't heard his anticipated Payback! album yet since I'm a broke nigga and I don't like pirating artists I respect (that's why I got a computer full of Rick Ross and 2chainz). But why should you listen to him? He's by far the most hilarious rapper out there as of now. Well atleast when he's not  moping about how deez niggaz wan hol him bak.He's the complete opposite of the Swap-Generation yet he fits in perfectly. You see, he's not obsessed with drugs and bitches, more like ridiculous pop culture references and making fun of your favorite rapper. He's basically Childish Gambino except he's not a bag of flaming hot cheetos. He's also a self-producing rapper who you should def know about if you're a Danny Brown fan.

And no, listening to XXX does not make you a fucking Danny Brown fan you fucking fuck.

But I digress, Danny has the most ridiculous story-line as a rapper. After he got kicked out of college for being paid to change people's grades, he starts his music career and ends up beefing with fellow South Carolina resident Charlemagne the God Hip Hop's Favorite Ninja Turtle (Sorry Young Jeezy :( )

After hella self-released albums and beattapes, a fucked deal with Def Jux, and a shelved album (that is apparently the greatest thing ever made that no will ever hear because Danny re-made it from the ground up) Danny ends up getting cosigned by Jay-z and ?uestlove. Now he's on Jimmy Fallon. I'm recalling this shit from memory so the sequence of events are prolly fucked.

I say that to say, Danny is killing it right now on the low-key. He has all this internet press but I still feel he's fairly underground. That's a good thing because that means we can get THIS SHIT . (*A collection of prank calls....most of them to Busta Rhymes)

Danny isn't a public figure as of yet so he's basically immune to the politics of the game. This nigga has been terrorizing Tyrese and Busta Rhymes for months.

Danny is the biggest hip hop troll out there. The thing about it is he has the skills to back it up

Recommonded listening: Support his latest release "Payback"

F.O.O.D. (2005)


Danny released all of his music for free on his tumblr about a year ago, I'm not gonna link tho you gotta take the journey.






***BONUS BUSTA RHYMES SLANDER*** 

http://bustarhymesgavemeherpes.blogspot.com/


*DJ CLUE VOICE* NEW HEAT 

https://twitter.com/BustaRhymesHerp




No comments:

Post a Comment